Notary Public service is available at no charge to library patrons. Due to Notaries not always being on site, users should contact the library to confirm that a Notary will be available when needed. Notary Public service is available at no charge to library patrons. Due to Notaries not always being on site, users should contact the library to confirm that a Notary will be available when needed.
Users must present a current (not expired) government issued identification that includes a photo and signature before notary can take place.
The document being notarized must be signed in front of the Notary.
All people signing must be present.
Library Staff who serve as a Notary will:
- Follow the notary laws of the State of Illinois.
- Not give professional advice on legal matters pertaining to notarizing documents.
- Reserve the right to refuse notary service at any time.
- Not notarize real estate documents or transactions.
- The Library will not provide witnesses and witnesses may not be solicited from customers using the Library. In order to serve as a witness, the witness must personally know the person whose document is being notarized and must be in possession of valid photo identification.
- Library Notaries are not permitted to make use of a translator to communicate with a notary service customer.
Items We are Unable to Notarize
- Cook County real estate transactions (AKA document of conveyance)
- I-9 Forms – Due to our employer’s policy, we’re unable to fill out or notarize I-9 forms as an authorized representative.
- Vital records – Birth, death, marriage, or divorce certificates and citizenship or naturalization certificates. You must request a certified copy from the county clerk, local registrar, or state Department of Public Health/Vital Records.
- School records – Only the school registrar has the authority to provide certified copies of student records. They must have a school seal and a tamper proof envelope, so these must be requested directly from your school.
- Military IDs or government common access cards (CAC)
- IRS tax returns – The IRS can provide certified copies of tax returns or a free tax transcript.